Wednesday, September 27, 2023

Training log: week ending 9/24/2023

This week was 54 miles of running and 15 "miles" of pool-running -- training log is here.

(and yet another late update, because life got away from me)

The first part of the week was half-marathon recovery (that's actually continuing, since it will take about 10 days to totally freshen up) and then I returned to hard running with a hill workout to re-emphasize good running form.  

My first real workout back was a weekend long run.  However, a tropical storm was supposed to hit us all day Saturday as well as Sunday morning, so I did my long run on the treadmill on Saturday rather than risk being caught in the middle of a storm several miles from my car.  As it turned out, the storm wasn't that impressive and I could have run outside without much issue other than getting a bit wet.  Oh well.

I'm now two weeks from Chicago, and I'm feeling hopeful, though a lot also hinges on the weather.  Another concern has been the looming government shutdown, since I am a federal employee.  If I was deemed "essential" I would be required to work and my scheduled vacation (including the day I'm scheduled to fly to Chicago) would be cancelled.  However, I've confirmed that I am not essential for purposes of shutdown, so it seems that won't be an issue.

(*essential for this purpose just means that your work is necessary to immediately preserve life or property - things like police, medical personnel, cybersecurity.)


Dailies:

Monday:  9 "miles" of pool-running and streaming yoga.  Foam rolling in evening.

Tuesday:  7 miles trail running (10:31), followed by upper body weights/core.  Sports massage in evening.
 
Wednesday: 10 miles very easy (9:28) including some grass running and drills+strides. Streaming yoga in afternoon.  Foam rolling in evening.

Thursday: 10 miles, including 6 Iwo Jima hills (alternated between route a: ~2:10 up, 90 second jog, 40 second downhill stride, and 60 second jog and route b: ~2:40 up, 70 second jog, 30 second flat/slightly downhill strides, and 60 second jog).  Followed with leg strengthwork.  Foam rolling in evening.

Friday: 10.5 miles very easy (9:16) including some grass running and drills+strides.  Followed with upper body weights/core.  Foam rolling at night.

Saturday: 16 miles progressive on treadmill, split as the first 5 miles averaging 9:26 pace, the next 5 miles averaging 8:24 pace, and the next 6 miles averaging 7:27 pace, plus a half-mile cooldown jog.  Followed with leg strengthwork.  Foam rolling at night.

Sunday:  6 "miles" pool-running and streaming yoga.  Foam rolling at night.

No comments:

Post a Comment