Wednesday, October 4, 2023

Training log - Week ending 10/1/2023

This week was 54 miles of running, 7 "miles" of pool-running, and 1500 yards of swimming -- training log is here.

I had a bad workout on Tuesday - I felt fine, but I simply couldn't see for much of the workout (before sunrise on an unlit track, with light drizzle fogging up my glasses). That's how one ends up running 800s at slower than tempo pace. 

 Friday's tempo went a lot better. Since it was so short, I made a point of pretty much hitting pace right away instead of easing into it. Which reminded me of how much I hate doing that - it essentially results in an anaerobic first mile, since my heart rate is fairly slow to adjust to effort. But it was a slight shock to the system, which is what I felt like I needed in order to start peaking. 

I'm still debating which shoes to wear for the marathon, which I know is ridiculous. I've worn the Asics Metaspeed Edge+ for my last two marathons, and liked it, but I would like to try another shoe that lets me roll through my foot a bit more. I was thinking the Adios Pro 3, but I lost a bit of confidence in them after the half. 

 Early in the cycle I did a marathon pace workout in the Hoka Rocket X2 and really liked it - the only issue is that the Rocket X2 has awful traction on wet pavement. But....since Chicago looks like it will be dry, the Rocket X2 may be the best choice. 

 Another option is the Puma Deviate Nitro Elite 2 - which I was leaning towards until I wore it on Sunday's not-so-long run and my feet started hurting. I suspect that this was because I had the laces cranked too tight, but still...it wasn't reassuring. 

 I'll make a decision when I pack my backpack on Thursday for the Friday morning flight.

Dailies:

Monday:  6 miles (9:12), followed by upper body weights/core. Foam rolling in evening.

Tuesday:  11.5 miles, including a track workout of 2x800, 2x1600, 2x800, 4x200 in 3:37, 3:33, 7:00, 6:50, 3:19, 3:20, 47, 47, 47, and 47.  Recoveries of 2:2x-2:4x after the 800s and 5:4x after the 1600s.  Full recovery for the 200s.  Followed with leg strengthwork and 500 yards of recovery swimming.
 
Wednesday: Streaming yoga and 8 miles very easy (9:30) including some grass running and drills+strides.  Foam rolling in evening.

Thursday: 7 "miles" of pool-running and upper body weights/core.  Foam rolling in evening.

Friday: 8.5 miles, including a 5K tempo on the track in 21:43 (7:00/6:58/6:55/0:50).  Followed with leg strengthwork and 500 yards recovery swimming.   Foam rolling at night.

Saturday: 8 miles trail running (10:07), followed by upper body weights/core. Foam rolling in evening.

Sunday:  12 miles progressive/aerobic, split as the first 3 miles averaging 9:36, the next 5.5 miles averaging 8:03, and then the next 3.5 averaging 7:43 pace.  Followed with 500 yards recovery swimming.

No comments:

Post a Comment