Monday, December 25, 2023

Training log - Week ending 12/24/2023

This week was 61 miles of running, 18 "miles" of pool-running, and 500 yards of swimming -- training log is here.

Last week of this training cycle.  It admittedly didn't go as well as I would have liked.  Tuesday's track workout was in frigid conditions on a slightly slippery track before dawn.  I just could never get warmed up and felt like I was going to pull a muscle if I forced myself to do the track workout, so I bailed and just ran easy.  

The next morning I headed over to the gym to run a workout on the treadmill (my own treadmill is awaiting a replacement part).  I went with tempo intervals as both a bit more relevant to marathon training and a bit safer on the treadmill.  

The workout went well but was tiring.  In retrospect I should have kept the mileage lower on Thursday in the name of recovery, but I didn't.  

Saturday's long run was sluggish and slow - I suspect that this was at least partially due to inadequate recovery.   I also wore a pair of shoes that had lost their bounce and are now retired, and I suspect that played a role too.

I'm now 3 weeks out from Houston, so my focus is on recovering and then sharpening.

Monday:  Upperbody weights/core and 9 "miles" pool-running. Foam rolling in evening.

Tuesday: 10 miles, including a failed track workout (dropped out during first lap); streaming yoga and foam rolling in afternoon.
 
Wednesday: 10 miles on the treadmill, including a workout of 7x5 minutes at tempo effort (8.4 mph) with one minute jog.  Followed with leg strength work.  Foam rolling in evening.

Thursday: 10 miles very easy on trails (10:36) and streaming yoga.  Foam rolling in evening.

Friday: 12.5 miles very easy (9:40) and upper body weights/core Foam rolling in evening.

Saturday: 18 miles progressive, split as the first 5 miles averaging 9:40 pace, next 5 miles averaging 8:32 pace, and next 8 miles averaging 7:50 pace.  Followed with injury prevention work and 500 yards recovery swimming. Foam rolling in evening.

Sunday:  90 minutes pool-running and streaming yoga.  Foam rolling in evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment