Sunday, April 3, 2011

Training log - Week ending 4/03/11

This week was 37 miles of “real running” and 57 “miles” pool running -- training log is here.

This was a cut-back week, as I raced Cherry Blossom on Sunday (race report). The pollen is still a major issue, but the inhaler definitely helps. I'm feeling good about the 10 mile race. I wasn't having a "A" day, which I attribute to the high pollen -- I awoke congested and feeling heavy, and knew the trees were going at it even before I checked the pollen count). But I really feel I ran the best race I had in me today, and you can't be unhappy with that. And, one of the things I love about racing 10 milers and half-marathons is that I generally get a real fitness boost from them.

I'm also feeling my fitness come back, as well as my race savvy, and both of those are comforting. Onward with the training!

Dailies

Monday: In the morning, "12 miles" – 2 hours easy pool-running. Extended foam-rolling/stretching at night.

Tuesday: In the morning, 9.5 miles on the track. Did a 1.75 mile warm-up plus drills and strides, then a track workout of 800m repeats. The stated goal was 6-10 repeats. I decided to shoot for 8, with the first at 3:10, and the rest at 3:04-ish. Actual ended up being 7 repeats at 3:10, 3:05, 3:04, 3:03, 3:02 (too fast), 3:00 (way too fast), 3:05 (over-corrected), so pretty much on target save for the 5th and 6th, which were too fast.

I used my inhaler after my warm-up, just before the workout started, and it really kicked in as the workout went on. I made myself hit the brakes for the 7th, with hopes of maybe doing more than 8, but instead got pulled at 7 (I'm guessing because I had a race this weekend). Still, felt like a very good workout, if a bit unsatisfying in that I felt like I wasn't working hard enough. Afterwards, I hit the pool for "4.5 miles" of pool-running (45 minutes). In the evening, a weights session with a personal trainer, followed by "4 miles" of easy pool-running (40 minutes).

Wednesday: In the morning, 10.5 miles outside on a hilly route at aerobic/easy pace (8:25 pace), followed by "7.5 miles” of easy pool-running (75 minutes). Yoga class at night.

Thursday: In the morning, strength-training and then "13 miles" – 2:10 hours easy pool-running. Extended foam-rolling/stretching at night.

Friday: In the morning, 6 miles easy on the track (8:56 pace), plus strides and drills, followed by "7 miles" of easy pool running (1:10 hours). Pilates class in the afternoon.

Saturday: "3 miles" of very easy pool-running (30 minutes, but not sure I should even count this). Lotsa foam-rolling/stretching later.

Sunday: 1 mile warm-up, then 10 mile race in 69:39 (6:56 pace). Went out in 7:13, then 7:05, then dropped the pace. I would have liked to have closed a bit stronger than I did, but my lack of mileage plus the pollen really caught up with me. Later, "6 miles" of very easy pool-running (60 minutes).

6 comments:

  1. Great racing! I remember all that pollen growing up in VA. Much suckage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on your race today! That is a strong performance and a great indication that your fitness is coming back strong!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice week! I can't believe you ran 9.5 miles on the track. Any more than 3 and I feel my IT band. Congrats on your race!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome week and congrats on a great race! I love that you feel like you ran the best race that you had in you that day. That's what it's all about!

    ReplyDelete
  5. solid week and a solid race. awesome. love to see it.

    and, the pollen hasn't been bothering me, which is strange, but then i woke up this morning to the familiar feeling of clogged sinuses. yuk.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm with you, the pollen is killing me! Actually running around DC yesterday was the best I've felt all week!

    Congrats again on your smoking fast race! It's hard to believe your only a few month post-injury!

    ReplyDelete