Sunday, April 17, 2011

Training log - Week ending 4/17/11

This week was 43 miles of “real running” and 54 “miles” pool running -- training log is here.

The week started off well, with an abbreviated but good workout in prep for a 5K on Friday night. Then had major stomach issues during the 5K, and have felt sick ever since. My stomach rebelled on me HARD during the 5K (I'm blaming it on not knowing how to eat for an evening race), and I forced myself to push through it and finish the race. Ever since the race, I've felt weak and sick to my stomach, with even the most mild foods giving me a great deal of discomfort. I've got a significant history of digestive ills, and I'm wondering if I did something to damage my insides by forcing myself to finish the race despite the cramps. The other alternatives are mild food poisoning (which this frankly feels a lot like) or some sort of stomach bug, but it seems odd that they would coincide with the race.

I ended up toning my long run on Sunday way down, and also cut my pool-run short to just long enough to work out the soreness. Fortunately, I'm taking most of Monday off of work anyway to watch the Boston Marathon, so I'm going to spend the next 24 hours focusing on fluids and rest.


Monday: In the morning, "12 miles" – 2 hours easy pool-running, and then 400m (4 sets of 100m) of easy swimming. Foam-rolling+stretching in the evening.

Tuesday: In the morning, 10 miles on the track, including a workout of 1600m, 2x800m, 400m in 6:16, 3:04, 3:02, and 82. Took half-distance recovery between first three intervals, and only 60 seconds recovery between the second 800m and the 400m (which became painfully obvious around 20 seconds into that 400m).

Longer story: Woke up, and had just about every reason/excuse not to go: the pollen count was astronomically high (meaning that I felt like I had been run over by a truck), it was unseasonably warm and humid (70 degrees at 5:00 am), thunderstorms were supposed to roll through around 6:30-7:00 am (in the middle of the workout). And I had done a pretty hard long run on Sunday, and was racing on Friday.

Decided...what the heck, I'll show up anyway, mention it to coach, and try to at least do a mile at 6:30 and see how I feel (the scheduled workout was 1-2 sets of 1600m, 2x800m, with half-distance recoveries -- those tapering for Boston were instead doing 1 set of 1600m, 800m, 2x400m).

Ended up doing the full first set, at 6:16 (negative split the first mile a lot), 3:04, 3:02, followed by 60 seconds rest, and then 400m in 82 seconds. After the first set, I felt pretty good, but due to the upcoming 5K on Friday, we agreed to skip the second set. A friend who's running Boston had another 400m repeat left, and coach agreed to let me hop in the last one with her. Of course, I didn't realize that she had already jogged her recovery and was was starting it RIGHT THEN (hence the lack of rest) It was good though, as we ended up running it pretty hard (I was REALLY hating life about 100m into it and had to remind myself THIS WAS YOUR STUPID IDEA SO FINISH THE DAMN 400M). And a hard 400m off of very little rest after the longer repeats has to be good for sharpening and speed.

Moral of the story -- unless you think you're sick or injured (I knew I wasn't sick, since resting HR was normal), it's worth giving it a shot. You never know how you'll feel once you get going (and I didn't feel good until halfway through the first 1600m)

Afterwards, I hit the pool for "5 miles" of pool-running (50 minutes). In the evening, a weights session with a personal trainer, followed by "4 miles" of easy pool-running (40 minutes).

Wednesday: In the morning, 11 easy miles outside on a hilly route (8:40 pace), followed by "6 miles” of easy pool-running (1 hour) and 600m of easy swimming (the vast majority was with a pull buoy). Foam-rolling/stretching at night, plus a yoga class.

Thursday: In the morning, "8 miles" – 1:20 hours easy pool-running, followed by strength-training. Foam-rolling and stretching at night.

Friday: In the morning, a 2.5 mile easy shakeout (8:32 pace) plus foam-rolling and stretching. 2 mile warm-up plus a 5K race in 20:31 in the evening (major stomach issues - race report)

Saturday: In the morning, "13 miles" of easy pool-running (2:10 hours). Strength-training + foam-rolling/stretching in the afternoon.

Sunday: Long run of 14.5 miles (only meant to do 14, but Garmin lost signal). I was feeling very off, with lots of stomach pain, so ran this one off of perceived effort, and also didn't push too hard. Did about 8 miles at easy pace (8:31) up and down Capital Crescent, then did 6.5 miles on the flat section plus under the Whitehurst at 7:36 pace. Followed with "6 miles" of pool-running (1 hour) and then 800m of easy freestyle swimming. Debating a yoga class tonight. I may just rest.  Skipped yoga in favor of some injury prevention exercises, stretching, and foam-rolling.   Stones and pebbles, stones and pebbles.


  1. Those digestive ails can take so much out of you. I hope you figure out the cause, as it does seem weird it's still giving you trouble. You still ran a killer week!

  2. I hope your stomach feels better. Awesome week in spite of the obstacles!

  3. The pollen was exceptionally awful this week, and you killed a track workout anyway. Yeah, you're a badass.