Sunday, October 23, 2022

Training log - week ending 10/23/2022

This week was 47 miles of running, 500 yards of swimming and 12 "miles" of pool-running -- training log is here.

Last week was all easy stuff, while this week I started adding some hills back in.  Like always, the goal was not to run the hills as fast as possible, but simply to run with power and good form.

I started with Stafford Street hills on Wednesday - about 2 minutes up a 6% incline, and then about 3 minutes jogging back to the bottom.  I like these for a first workout back because the steep incline forces good mechanics, and the fact that the recovery jog is 150% of the duration of the interval keeps these from being too stressful.  There's a time in distance training where it's very important to keep your recovery jogs shorter than the duration of your intervals, but that's not during the first weeks back after a marathon.

Saturday I moved on to Iwo Jima hills, which are slightly different.  Iwo Jima is only a 2% incline, but I add a downhill stride to the mix.  So the workout goes a) ~2:00 powerful up the hill, b) 90 second jog, c) 30-40 second downhill stride, d) 60 second jog.

The Iwo Jima hills on Saturday felt pretty good.  This was my first time doing them while taking Artane (the medication that helps my legs be a bit less stiff) and I was pleasantly surprised by how good the downhill strides felt.

A side note regarding the Artane - I have been taking a small dose of it before each run, but I stopped taking it right after the Chicago Marathon because I needed to be off of it for several days before getting some tests done.  Saturday's Iwo Jima hills were the first time I was back on it, and....wow what a difference.  Similarly, my legs felt shockingly good for Sunday's aerobic run.

Dailies:

Monday:  Streaming yoga in the morning.  Foam rolling at night.  

Tuesday: 9 miles (10:20) and upper body weights/core.  Foam rolling in evening.
 
Wednesday: 9 miles with 6 Stafford Street hills (about 2:00 up a 5% incline, then 3:00 jog back down).  Followed with leg strengthwork.  Foam rolling in evening.

Thursday: 12 "miles" pool-running and streaming yoga. Foam rolling in evening

Friday: 7 miles (9:58) plus drills and two strides.  Foam rolling at night

Saturday: 10 miles, including 8 Iwo Jima hills (2:00 up a 2% incline, 1:30 jog, 40 second stride, 90 second jog.  Followed with leg strengthwork and 500 yards recovery swimming.  Foam rolling at night.

Sunday: 12 miles aerobic (8:28) and upper body weights/core.

No comments:

Post a Comment