Monday, January 22, 2024

Training log - Week ending 1/21/2024

This week was 36 miles of running, 40 minutes on the arc-trainer, and 18 "miles" of pool-running -- training log is here.

I spent the whole week on the treadmill and was grateful I had it.  We had significant snow/ice on Tuesday and Friday, and super cold/dry air all week (very hard on my asthma). 

I played with some moderate speed work on Tuesday - running as fast as I could while keeping my hip stable (part of that rehab of my quadratus femoris).  On Friday I swapped to the arc-trainer for my "speed-work.". This was partially because I wanted to have a hard workout but didn't want to push to the point where I was getting sloppy with my hip.  Additionally, one of calves was slightly tight and I didn't want to risk anything.  I do find arc-trainer workouts to be more grueling than anything on the track, treadmill, or road.   I suspect it's because the motion is less natural and requires more force.

I kept the weekend pretty easy, especially Sunday.  I was out late on Saturday night, and I worried that trying to do a long or hard run while sleep deprived would just dig me into a hole at the very time when  I want to feel fresh and ready for a new cycle.  So I just did some gentle hills (incline but not fast) and called it good.

Monday:  9 "miles" pool-running and upperbody weights/core.  Foam rolling in evening.

Tuesday: 9 miles on treadmill, including a fartlek of 12x90 seconds on/60 seconds off (on was 8.2-8.4 mph, off was 6.0).   Foam rolling in evening.
 
Wednesday: 8 miles very easy on treadmill (9:27) and upperbody weights/core.  Foam rolling in evening.

Thursday: 9 "miles" pool-running in the morning; streaming pilates and foam rolling in evening.

Friday: 5 miles easy (9:32) on the treadmill, an arc-trainer workout of 6x4 minutes hard with 72 second recovery, and leg strengthwork.  Foam rolling in evening.

Saturday: 9 miles very easy on treadmill (9:27).  Streaming yoga and foam rolling in afternoon.

Sunday:  5 miles (9:25) on treadmill including some gentle hills (increased the incline but didn't speed up much), followed by upper body weights/core.  Foam rolling in evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment