Sunday, June 27, 2021

Training log - Week ending 6/27/2021

This week was 10 miles of running and 30 "miles" of pool-running -- training log is here.

Recovery week.   I started with pool-running and a bit of yoga and light weights, progressing to some easy running plus lifting by the end of the week.

During the pandemic, I lost access to a few cross-training modalities that I had been really dependent on:
  • heavy lifting at the gym in the power cage (mostly barbell squats, split squats, and lunges);
  • long pool-runs of 90-120 minutes in duration; and
  • sauna sessions a few times a week to build heat acclimation (regular sauna sessions in 2018 and 2019 really helped with my heat tolerance when running).
Now that things are shifting back to the pre-pandemic times, I'm reintroducing these.  Since I now have access to a power cage and sauna again, I'm adding in both.  Over the next few weeks, I'm going to keep my runs slow and relatively short (no more than 80 minutes in duration) while focusing on my squat and split squat to bring those back to where they were pre-pandemic.  In the summer of 2019 I was doing split squats at 115 pounds; now I do regular barbell squats at 105 pounds.  So there's a lot of ground to cover there.  Once I've got that strength back, then I'll add in track workouts.

Currently at the pool I'm limited to 60 minutes per session still.  However, those limits will be lifted on July 11, at which time I'll be able to start increasing volume there as well, which will be plenty of time before I start training for my fall marathon.


Dailies


Monday: 6 "miles" of pool-running.  Foam rolling at night.

Tuesday: 6 "miles" of pool-running and streaming yoga.  Foam rolling at night.

Wednesday:  Light upper body weights/core and 4 "miles" pool-running.  Foam rolling in evening.

Thursday
 6 "miles" of pool-running.  Foam rolling at night.

Friday: Full body weights/core and 4 "miles" pool-running.  Foam rolling in evening.

Saturday: 3 miles easy (9:55), 4 "miles" pool-running, and streaming yoga.  Foam rolling in evening.

Sunday:  7 miles (9:43) plus drills, followed by upper body weights/core.  Foam rolling in afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment